ESPN Analyst Kurkjian: D-backs face long-term challenge with big-market Dodgers
ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian was on Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday, and he discussed the challenge the Arizona Diamondbacks face having to compete against such a financially endowed team. One small market team that's been able to achieve success is Tampa Bay Rays, but Kurkjian said following their lead is easier said than done.
"Keep in mind that the Rays became good because they were historically bad for almost 15 years. If you want to be good, draft the right people and then develop them correctly," Kurkjian said. "The Rays‘ model is different because they've kept it going now for six years. To sustain it for that long is very difficult."
The Dodgers sported an opening day payroll of $216 million while the D-backs were at just under $90 million. With a likely extension to pitcher Clayton Kershaw coming soon, the Dodgers' payroll should only rise in the next few years.
Kurkjian did point out that not all high-spending teams have success, but admitted it allows them to make a mistake a team like the D-backs can't.
"If [the D-backs] have to go out and get that one guy, that they have to overspend for in order to stay competitive with the Dodgers, they better be sure that deal they give him works long term because if it doesn't, they're in big trouble," Kurkjian said.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.