Updated Sep 22, 2013 - 5:26 pm
Davidson hits 3-run homer, D-backs beat Rox 13-9
DENVER (AP) - Matt Davidson hit a three-run homer for the second straight day, and the Arizona Diamondbacks opened an early six-run lead before hanging on to beat the Colorado Rockies 13-9 on Sunday.
Rookie Chris Owings doubled, scored twice and drove in two runs for the Diamondbacks, who led 7-1 in the third and 13-5 in the ninth.
Colorado's Michael Cuddyer was 3 for 5, raising his league-leading average to .334. Todd Helton, who is retiring at the end of the season, had four RBIs to raise his total to 1,402.
Will Harris (4-1) got the final two outs of the fifth in relief of Patrick Corbin, who allowed four runs, 10 hits and two walks in 4 1-3 innings. After Colorado closed with four runs in the ninth, Brad Ziegler got DJ LeMahieu to hit a game-ending groundout with two on.
Juan Nicasio (8-9) gave up seven runs, seven hits and two walks in 2 1-3 innings, matching his shortest outing this season.
Each team had 19 hits, including three apiece by Arizona's Aaron Hill, Adam Eaton and A.J. Pollock.
NOTES: Cuddyer was back in the Rockies lineup after missing the previous three games with a sore left wrist and forearm. ... CF Dexter Fowler was rested by the Rockies, a day after aggravating a knee injury; manager Walt Weiss said there was a chance Fowler wouldn't play again the rest of the way. ... Charlie Blackmon has had multiple hits in seven of his last eight games. ... The Rockies have an off day Monday before closing their home schedule with a two-game interleague series against the Boston Red Sox. ... The Diamondbacks return home to host a four-game series against the Padres with RHP Brandon McCarthy (5-9) set to start Monday's opener against LHP Eric Stults. ... Goldschmidt scored his 100th run of the season in a three-run third inning.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Martin Prado to New York Yankees
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Gerardo Parra to Milwaukee Brewers for prospects Mitch Haniger and Anthony Banda
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.