Grit Index: Youth served in D-backs' five-run win over Rockies
The D-backs raced out to a 6-0 lead through the first three innings, thanks to an RBI single by rookie catcher Tuffy Gosewisch in the second inning, and four RBIs by rookie shortstop and third baseman Chris Owings (double) Matt Davidson (three-run home run) in the third inning.
From there, Cahill handled the rest.
The right-hander gave up two runs on seven hits in 5.2 innings of work, as the D-backs took the second game of their three-game series with the Colorado Rockies by a final of 7-2.
With Saturday's victory, Cahill has now won five straight decisions.
Aside from the offensive explosion by the young trio of Gosewisch, Davidson and Owings, Gerardo Parra and Martin Prado once again had big nights at the plate. The Venezuelans combined to go 5-for-9 with an RBI and three runs scored.
Adam Eaton has recorded a hit in seven of his last eight games.
Paul Goldschmidt's added to his NL-leading RBI total with an infield single in the ninth inning. The D-backs first baseman has 122 RBI on the season.
The only real scare of the night came in the first inning. For the second time this season, Cahill was struck with a line drive -- this time off the bat DJ LeMahieu. Cahill, however, managed to stay in the game and calmly retired the final three batters of the inning.
- Heath Bell pitched two innings for the first time since Aug. 18.
- Chris Owings' RBI double in the third was the first extra-base hit of his career.
- The D-backs have scored four or more runs in four straight games.
- Gerardo Parra has reached safely in 18 of his last 21 games.
Patrick Corbin (14-7, 3.17 ERA) will look to shake off the shortest outing of his season Sunday when he faces Juan Nicasio (8-8, 4.98 ERA) in the series finale between the Diamondbacks and Rockies at Coors Field. First pitch is scheduled for 1:10 p.m. MDT and can be heard on Arizona Sports 620 AM.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.