Grit Index: Youth served in D-backs' five-run win over Rockies
The D-backs raced out to a 6-0 lead through the first three innings, thanks to an RBI single by rookie catcher Tuffy Gosewisch in the second inning, and four RBIs by rookie shortstop and third baseman Chris Owings (double) Matt Davidson (three-run home run) in the third inning.
From there, Cahill handled the rest.
The right-hander gave up two runs on seven hits in 5.2 innings of work, as the D-backs took the second game of their three-game series with the Colorado Rockies by a final of 7-2.
With Saturday's victory, Cahill has now won five straight decisions.
Aside from the offensive explosion by the young trio of Gosewisch, Davidson and Owings, Gerardo Parra and Martin Prado once again had big nights at the plate. The Venezuelans combined to go 5-for-9 with an RBI and three runs scored.
Adam Eaton has recorded a hit in seven of his last eight games.
Paul Goldschmidt's added to his NL-leading RBI total with an infield single in the ninth inning. The D-backs first baseman has 122 RBI on the season.
The only real scare of the night came in the first inning. For the second time this season, Cahill was struck with a line drive -- this time off the bat DJ LeMahieu. Cahill, however, managed to stay in the game and calmly retired the final three batters of the inning.
- Heath Bell pitched two innings for the first time since Aug. 18.
- Chris Owings' RBI double in the third was the first extra-base hit of his career.
- The D-backs have scored four or more runs in four straight games.
- Gerardo Parra has reached safely in 18 of his last 21 games.
Patrick Corbin (14-7, 3.17 ERA) will look to shake off the shortest outing of his season Sunday when he faces Juan Nicasio (8-8, 4.98 ERA) in the series finale between the Diamondbacks and Rockies at Coors Field. First pitch is scheduled for 1:10 p.m. MDT and can be heard on Arizona Sports 620 AM.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Arizona Diamondbacks' GM Kevin Towers on why he traded Tyler Skaggs
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.