Grit Index: McCarthy takes 10th loss vs. Padres
McCarthy scattered eight hits in 6.0 innings pitched against the Padres, allowing four to score.
Three runs came on a sixth-inning Nick Hundley home run, giving Stults -- who improved to 10-13 with the win -- a comfy lead when he took the mound to get an out in the seventh inning.
Stults ultimately struck out five Diamondbacks batters, allowing five hits and just one to score over 6.1 innings. The lone run came in the second inning, when Adam Eaton plated Matt Davidson on an RBI single.
Paul Goldschmidt, Martin Prado and Aaron Hill, the Diamondbacks' 3-4-5 hitters, combined to go 1-for-11 in the game with a walk.
Cliff Pennington -- who many though would be held out of Kirk Gibson's starting lineups for the remainder of the season, due to the presence of Didi Gregorius, Chris Owings and Willie Bloomquist on the roster -- made the most of his starting opportunity, going 3-for-4 from the 8-hole.
Against a slow-throwing left-hander, the Diamondbacks' right-handed 3-4-5 hitters tallied only one hit in 11 at-bats.
Up Next: Left-hander Wade Miley (10-10, 3.75 ERA) of the Diamondbacks will take on the Padres' Tyson Ross (3-8, 3.24 ERA) at Petco Park. First pitch is at 7:10 p.m. MDT and can be heard on Arizona Sports 620 AM.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.