Updated Sep 24, 2013 - 4:17 pm
D-backs' Kirk Gibson: 'We won't forget' Dodgers' pool celebration
The Los Angeles Dodgers clinched the National League West by beating the Arizona Diamondbacks 7-6 at Chase Field. What followed was a traditional on-field celebration and a champagne and beer shower in the clubhouse.
But what followed that became a national story. A group of Dodgers ran out back on to the field, scaled the fence and splashed around in the Chase Field pool.
Additionally, a report circulated Tuesday that indicated that at least one Los Angeles player relieved himself in the pool.
"There's some debate and people have debated all over the country whether they should've or should not have, but I think we'd all agree that peeing in the pool is not cool," Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson told Burns and Gambo Tuesday on Arizona Sports 620. "That's bad pool etiquette."
Gibson elaborated that he doesn't believe other teams would have celebrated the same way the Dodgers did.
"If you look around at some of the classy organizations around the league, they wouldn't have done that either," Gibson said. "(The Dodgers) make their choices and they'll be held accountable for them, one way or the other.
"We won't forget it and as more information comes out, it adds to it."
There has been plenty of bad blood between the two organizations this season. In April, D-backs managing general partner Ken Kendrick asked Dodger fans who were sitting behind home plate in their team's garb to change their clothing or be moved from the seats. In June, the two teams engaged in an on-field brawl that resulted in 12 players getting fined and eight players getting suspended.
In July, Dodgers rookie Yasiel Puig reportedly disrespected D-backs great Luis Gonzalez, who just wanted to talk to him about his Cuban heritage. Gonzalez's family has roots in Cuba.
And now, there's the pool incident.
With all of that piling up this season, Gibson declined to say he thought the Dodgers' celebration was personal because it came against the D-backs in Arizona.
"You would have to ask them that question," he said.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.