Diamondbacks president Hall: Offseason is 'going to be fun'
Sure, the Los Angeles Dodgers celebrating their NL West title last week by taking a dip in the Chase Field pool is one of them, but as the D-backs' President told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf, "we could have avoided all of that had we taken care of business here."
Hall admitted he may have exhibited "sour grapes" with some of his postgame comments, but added a lot went into it that, if everyone knew exactly what happened, "they would be even more shocked."
But that's in the past, and while Hall and many people associated with the Diamondbacks may have been offended, the team's attention will now turn to making sure there is not a repeat performance next season. And the way to do that, of course, would be to win the NL West themselves.
It is with that goal in mind that Hall says the roster needs some work.
"We're still not far off," he said. "You've got a fairly successful season -- a winning season -- but not not one that we wanted to experience. We wanted to win."
Hall said any season that ends without a playoff birth is not satisfactory, because the goal is to win multiple World Series titles.
The president said that does not mean changes are coming to the front office or coaching staff.
"We just have to all look in the mirror and get back on the same page and ask ourselves what went wrong," he said.
So, what did go wrong?
Anyone who has watched the team knows injuries hurt, as did an inconsistent offense and woeful bullpen. Hall, who said he's not glad to see the season end but cannot wait to get started on next year, is looking forward to the challenge facing the D-backs.
"It's going to be fun," he said. "When you go into the offseason knowing that you have a few tweaks to make and you start to think about who may be out there from a trade-standpoint and how you can improve the club, that's fun, that's exciting."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Gerardo Parra's Arizona Diamondbacks career: By the Numbers
- Martin Prado: By the Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks call up Andy Marte and Roger Kieschnick from Triple-A Reno
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Martin Prado to New York Yankees
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Gerardo Parra to Milwaukee Brewers for prospects Mitch Haniger and Anthony Banda
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.