Diamondbacks president Hall: Offseason is 'going to be fun'
Sure, the Los Angeles Dodgers celebrating their NL West title last week by taking a dip in the Chase Field pool is one of them, but as the D-backs' President told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf, "we could have avoided all of that had we taken care of business here."
Hall admitted he may have exhibited "sour grapes" with some of his postgame comments, but added a lot went into it that, if everyone knew exactly what happened, "they would be even more shocked."
But that's in the past, and while Hall and many people associated with the Diamondbacks may have been offended, the team's attention will now turn to making sure there is not a repeat performance next season. And the way to do that, of course, would be to win the NL West themselves.
It is with that goal in mind that Hall says the roster needs some work.
"We're still not far off," he said. "You've got a fairly successful season -- a winning season -- but not not one that we wanted to experience. We wanted to win."
Hall said any season that ends without a playoff birth is not satisfactory, because the goal is to win multiple World Series titles.
The president said that does not mean changes are coming to the front office or coaching staff.
"We just have to all look in the mirror and get back on the same page and ask ourselves what went wrong," he said.
So, what did go wrong?
Anyone who has watched the team knows injuries hurt, as did an inconsistent offense and woeful bullpen. Hall, who said he's not glad to see the season end but cannot wait to get started on next year, is looking forward to the challenge facing the D-backs.
"It's going to be fun," he said. "When you go into the offseason knowing that you have a few tweaks to make and you start to think about who may be out there from a trade-standpoint and how you can improve the club, that's fun, that's exciting."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- In second year with D-backs, Martin Prado finally feeling 'comfortable and settled'
- No clear lineup materializing for 2014 Arizona Diamondbacks
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill 'unable to execute' against Oakland
- D-backs president Hall: Mark Trumbo is 'everything as advertised'
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Patrick Corbin where he needs to be moving towards season opener
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.