ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian: 'Poolgate' reflective of societal issue
Thursday, Tim Kurkjian was asked his thoughts on 'Poolgate,' and ESPN's senior baseball writer chose to point the finger at a party not named the Arizona Diamondbacks or Los Angeles Dodgers.
"If I were a player -- and obviously I'm not -- but I would have never done that," Kurkjian told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo. "And if I were the manager, I would have advised those players, 'Don't do that. It's not necessary.'
"Was I completely offended by it? No and here's why. We have taught the players to be like this. ESPN has taught them to be like this by showing all of the knucklehead things that the players do. They think it's okay to do this now. Yasiel Puig doesn't know any better and that's a real problem."
While Kurkjian initially called out his own industry, he added that the issue of promoting unprofessional behavior goes even deeper than sports media.
"It's a societal thing that we've allowed our young people to do whatever the heck they want," said Kurkjian.
"But some of the veteran guys should have advised and said, 'Let's celebrate in here. Let's not touch anything that belongs to the Diamondbacks. Whether you like a pool or not, that's the Diamondbacks' property.'"
Of course, no such advisement took place, and the story as well as the subsequent headlines will likely carry into 2014, when the D-backs and Dodgers kick off the Major League Baseball season down in Australia.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Report: Daniel Hudson signs minor league deal with Arizona Diamodnbacks
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.