ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian: 'Poolgate' reflective of societal issue
Thursday, Tim Kurkjian was asked his thoughts on 'Poolgate,' and ESPN's senior baseball writer chose to point the finger at a party not named the Arizona Diamondbacks or Los Angeles Dodgers.
"If I were a player -- and obviously I'm not -- but I would have never done that," Kurkjian told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo. "And if I were the manager, I would have advised those players, 'Don't do that. It's not necessary.'
"Was I completely offended by it? No and here's why. We have taught the players to be like this. ESPN has taught them to be like this by showing all of the knucklehead things that the players do. They think it's okay to do this now. Yasiel Puig doesn't know any better and that's a real problem."
While Kurkjian initially called out his own industry, he added that the issue of promoting unprofessional behavior goes even deeper than sports media.
"It's a societal thing that we've allowed our young people to do whatever the heck they want," said Kurkjian.
"But some of the veteran guys should have advised and said, 'Let's celebrate in here. Let's not touch anything that belongs to the Diamondbacks. Whether you like a pool or not, that's the Diamondbacks' property.'"
Of course, no such advisement took place, and the story as well as the subsequent headlines will likely carry into 2014, when the D-backs and Dodgers kick off the Major League Baseball season down in Australia.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.