ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian: 'Poolgate' reflective of societal issue
Thursday, Tim Kurkjian was asked his thoughts on 'Poolgate,' and ESPN's senior baseball writer chose to point the finger at a party not named the Arizona Diamondbacks or Los Angeles Dodgers.
"If I were a player -- and obviously I'm not -- but I would have never done that," Kurkjian told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo. "And if I were the manager, I would have advised those players, 'Don't do that. It's not necessary.'
"Was I completely offended by it? No and here's why. We have taught the players to be like this. ESPN has taught them to be like this by showing all of the knucklehead things that the players do. They think it's okay to do this now. Yasiel Puig doesn't know any better and that's a real problem."
While Kurkjian initially called out his own industry, he added that the issue of promoting unprofessional behavior goes even deeper than sports media.
"It's a societal thing that we've allowed our young people to do whatever the heck they want," said Kurkjian.
"But some of the veteran guys should have advised and said, 'Let's celebrate in here. Let's not touch anything that belongs to the Diamondbacks. Whether you like a pool or not, that's the Diamondbacks' property.'"
Of course, no such advisement took place, and the story as well as the subsequent headlines will likely carry into 2014, when the D-backs and Dodgers kick off the Major League Baseball season down in Australia.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Rookie makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Plate call overturned in D-backs' loss
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.