Eric Clapton-owned Richter painting to sell in NYC
NEW YORK (AP) - An oil painting by German abstract artist Gerhard Richter (GEHR'-hahrd RIHK'-tur) from Eric Clapton's collection is heading for a New York City auction.
Christie's auction house says "Abstraktes Bild" is estimated to sell for $20 million to $25 million on Nov. 12. It says the English guitarist and songwriter bought the painting at auction in 2001.
The large oil painting was executed in 1994. It has a rich palette of red, purple, violet and yellow evocative of a fall landscape.
Richter's "Domplatz, Mailand" (DOHM'-plahtz MY'-lahnd) set a record for any living artist at auction in May when it sold at Sotheby's for $37 million.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.