Eric Clapton-owned Richter painting to sell in NYC
NEW YORK (AP) - An oil painting by German abstract artist Gerhard Richter (GEHR'-hahrd RIHK'-tur) from Eric Clapton's collection is heading for a New York City auction.
Christie's auction house says "Abstraktes Bild" is estimated to sell for $20 million to $25 million on Nov. 12. It says the English guitarist and songwriter bought the painting at auction in 2001.
The large oil painting was executed in 1994. It has a rich palette of red, purple, violet and yellow evocative of a fall landscape.
Richter's "Domplatz, Mailand" (DOHM'-plahtz MY'-lahnd) set a record for any living artist at auction in May when it sold at Sotheby's for $37 million.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.