Eric Clapton-owned Richter painting to sell in NYC
NEW YORK (AP) - An oil painting by German abstract artist Gerhard Richter (GEHR'-hahrd RIHK'-tur) from Eric Clapton's collection is heading for a New York City auction.
Christie's auction house says "Abstraktes Bild" is estimated to sell for $20 million to $25 million on Nov. 12. It says the English guitarist and songwriter bought the painting at auction in 2001.
The large oil painting was executed in 1994. It has a rich palette of red, purple, violet and yellow evocative of a fall landscape.
Richter's "Domplatz, Mailand" (DOHM'-plahtz MY'-lahnd) set a record for any living artist at auction in May when it sold at Sotheby's for $37 million.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Four-run fifth inning does in McCarthy, D-backs in loss to Cubs: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: 'If we don't start winning, I should be held accountable'
- Diamondbacks didn't have a chance after Sydney
- Prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest outing
- Wood homers, allows 1 run in Cubs' win
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.