D-backs manager Gibson: 'Drastic overhaul' not necessary
They also finished nine games out of a Wild Card spot, so it would stand to reason if the team wants to earn a postseason spot next year, something is going to have to change.
But D-backs manager Kirk Gibson, as a guest of Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday, said he doesn't believe his team needs to look much different in 2014.
"I don't think we need a drastic overhaul," he said. "I think we've got a great nucleus of players."
Gibson acknowledged the team will need to improve in certain areas, including starting pitching, the bullpen and power hitting, especially from the left side of the plate. He believes the starters currently on the roster have the potential to turn things around next season, and added the bullpen has some nice pieces in it, too.
What all that will mean as the offseason progresses in terms of free agent additions and trades remains to be seen, but the D-backs do seem to have a surplus of middle infielders and starting pitchers, so a deal could be made from one of those spots.
The manager added the D-backs are more of a "situational team" that relies on its defense and determination, and those are traits worth keeping.
And while that may not be enough to beat a team like the Dodgers every time out, Gibson said the goal is to compete with baseball's best.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.