D-backs manager Gibson: 'Drastic overhaul' not necessary
They also finished nine games out of a Wild Card spot, so it would stand to reason if the team wants to earn a postseason spot next year, something is going to have to change.
But D-backs manager Kirk Gibson, as a guest of Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday, said he doesn't believe his team needs to look much different in 2014.
"I don't think we need a drastic overhaul," he said. "I think we've got a great nucleus of players."
Gibson acknowledged the team will need to improve in certain areas, including starting pitching, the bullpen and power hitting, especially from the left side of the plate. He believes the starters currently on the roster have the potential to turn things around next season, and added the bullpen has some nice pieces in it, too.
What all that will mean as the offseason progresses in terms of free agent additions and trades remains to be seen, but the D-backs do seem to have a surplus of middle infielders and starting pitchers, so a deal could be made from one of those spots.
The manager added the D-backs are more of a "situational team" that relies on its defense and determination, and those are traits worth keeping.
And while that may not be enough to beat a team like the Dodgers every time out, Gibson said the goal is to compete with baseball's best.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.