Warhol's 'Car Crash' work coming to NYC auction
NEW YORK (AP) - "Silver Car Crash (Double Disaster)," a monumental silkscreen by Andy Warhol, is heading to a New York City auction where it could fetch more than $60 million.
The piece belongs to Warhol's "Death and Disaster" series and captures the immediate aftermath of a car crashing into a tree. It measures 8 feet by 13 feet.
Sotheby's is offering Warhol silkscreen on Nov. 13. The auction house says it is one of only four "Car Crash" works of that scale and the only one remaining in private hands. Sotheby's says the work has been in the same collection since 1988.
Warhol's "Green Car Crash" holds the record for the artist. It sold for $71.7 million in 2007 at Christie's.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.