Warhol's 'Car Crash' work coming to NYC auction
NEW YORK (AP) - "Silver Car Crash (Double Disaster)," a monumental silkscreen by Andy Warhol, is heading to a New York City auction where it could fetch more than $60 million.
The piece belongs to Warhol's "Death and Disaster" series and captures the immediate aftermath of a car crashing into a tree. It measures 8 feet by 13 feet.
Sotheby's is offering Warhol silkscreen on Nov. 13. The auction house says it is one of only four "Car Crash" works of that scale and the only one remaining in private hands. Sotheby's says the work has been in the same collection since 1988.
Warhol's "Green Car Crash" holds the record for the artist. It sold for $71.7 million in 2007 at Christie's.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.