Film and theater figure Henry Guettel dies at 85
NEW YORK (AP) - Henry Guettel, a film executive with both 20th Century Fox and Columbia Pictures as well as a former head of the Theatre Development Fund, died Monday of pneumonia in Southampton, N.Y., according to his wife, Mary Rodgers Guettel. He was 85.
Guettel had been a vice president at 20th Century Fox and Columbia Pictures before leading the Fund, the not-for-profit performing arts service organization best known for operating the TKTS Booths. He was executive director for a decade beginning in 1982.
He was a stage manager for "Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep" in 1950 and went on to helped produce such Broadway shows as "Sugar Babies" and "Romulus." Guettel also produced national tours of Broadway shows in the 1960s including, "The Sound of Music," "The Best Man" and "Camelot."
In addition to his wife, who is composer Richard Rodgers' older daughter, Guettel is survived by his children, "The Light in the Piazza" composer Adam Guettel and Alec Guettel, his stepchildren Tod Beaty, Kim Beaty, and Nina Beaty and six grandchildren.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- D-backs' mystery man David Peralta impresses general manager Kevin Towers
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?