'Betrayal' with Daniel Craig already a hit
NEW YORK (AP) - The real-life husband-and-wife team Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz helped propel "Betrayal" to a Broadway record- and the show hasn't even officially opened yet.
Data released Monday from The Broadway League shows that the first seven previews of the Harold Pinter revival earned $1,100,818, breaking the Barrymore Theater's weekly box office record. It took the crown set by the recent revival of "Death of a Salesman," which grossed $1,066,582 in June 2012.
The two shows share the same director, Mike Nichols, and lead producer, Scott Rudin. More records may fall soon when the show increases to eight performances a week. It opens Oct. 27, when critics have their say. Adding to its pull is that "Betrayal" is to play only 14 weeks, through Jan. 5.
Overall, the 28 shows on Broadway last week earned $21,422,654. A few new shows- including "A Night With Janis Joplin," "The Snow Geese," "A Time to Kill" and "That Winslow Boy"- have begun previews but haven't had critics weigh in yet. Another new show, "Big Fish," opened Sunday to mixed notices.
The numbers also show the softening in demand for "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark" continues- it grossed $654,748, or 42 percent of its potential $1,543,508 with its home, the Foxwoods Theatre, three-quarters full. Another show barely limping along is "Soul Doctor" which grossed only 15 percent of its $716,208 potential.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.