Updated Oct 8, 2013 - 10:12 am
Arizona Diamondbacks fire pitching coach Charles Nagy and first base coach Steve Sax
Late Monday, word leaked that they had done just that, and the team made the announcement Tuesday morning that it had relieved pitching coach Charles Nagy and first base coach Steve Sax of their duties.
AZDiamondbacks.com's Steve Gilbert talked with Nagy Monday night.
"It's been a great three years with the Diamondbacks," Nagy said. "On behalf of me and my family, I'd like to thank the fans in Arizona for their support and the Diamondbacks organization for the opportunity."
The moves come in the wake of back-to-back poor seasons from Diamondbacks pitchers, who collectively posted earned run averages just below 4.00 in 2012 and 2013, while blowing a major league-worst 29 saves last season.
Nagy spent three years as the Diamondbacks' pitching coach and his pitchers finished just below National League average in ERA each year.
Sax was named the team's first base coach in December 2012.
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.