Updated Oct 8, 2013 - 10:12 am
Arizona Diamondbacks fire pitching coach Charles Nagy and first base coach Steve Sax
Late Monday, word leaked that they had done just that, and the team made the announcement Tuesday morning that it had relieved pitching coach Charles Nagy and first base coach Steve Sax of their duties.
AZDiamondbacks.com's Steve Gilbert talked with Nagy Monday night.
"It's been a great three years with the Diamondbacks," Nagy said. "On behalf of me and my family, I'd like to thank the fans in Arizona for their support and the Diamondbacks organization for the opportunity."
The moves come in the wake of back-to-back poor seasons from Diamondbacks pitchers, who collectively posted earned run averages just below 4.00 in 2012 and 2013, while blowing a major league-worst 29 saves last season.
Nagy spent three years as the Diamondbacks' pitching coach and his pitchers finished just below National League average in ERA each year.
Sax was named the team's first base coach in December 2012.
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Mets complete sweep of Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks are no easy fix, but who should get the chance?
- Debut in the books, Mike Bolsinger prepares for first start
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.