Updated Oct 8, 2013 - 10:12 am
Arizona Diamondbacks fire pitching coach Charles Nagy and first base coach Steve Sax
Late Monday, word leaked that they had done just that, and the team made the announcement Tuesday morning that it had relieved pitching coach Charles Nagy and first base coach Steve Sax of their duties.
AZDiamondbacks.com's Steve Gilbert talked with Nagy Monday night.
"It's been a great three years with the Diamondbacks," Nagy said. "On behalf of me and my family, I'd like to thank the fans in Arizona for their support and the Diamondbacks organization for the opportunity."
The moves come in the wake of back-to-back poor seasons from Diamondbacks pitchers, who collectively posted earned run averages just below 4.00 in 2012 and 2013, while blowing a major league-worst 29 saves last season.
Nagy spent three years as the Diamondbacks' pitching coach and his pitchers finished just below National League average in ERA each year.
Sax was named the team's first base coach in December 2012.
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.