Updated Oct 8, 2013 - 10:12 am
Arizona Diamondbacks fire pitching coach Charles Nagy and first base coach Steve Sax
Late Monday, word leaked that they had done just that, and the team made the announcement Tuesday morning that it had relieved pitching coach Charles Nagy and first base coach Steve Sax of their duties.
AZDiamondbacks.com's Steve Gilbert talked with Nagy Monday night.
"It's been a great three years with the Diamondbacks," Nagy said. "On behalf of me and my family, I'd like to thank the fans in Arizona for their support and the Diamondbacks organization for the opportunity."
The moves come in the wake of back-to-back poor seasons from Diamondbacks pitchers, who collectively posted earned run averages just below 4.00 in 2012 and 2013, while blowing a major league-worst 29 saves last season.
Nagy spent three years as the Diamondbacks' pitching coach and his pitchers finished just below National League average in ERA each year.
Sax was named the team's first base coach in December 2012.
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?