ESPN's Kurkjian on D-backs GM's comments: 'This is Kevin Towers'
While most of the reaction has been negative, ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian explained Towers' stance and that it's not a surprise to people within the industry.
"This is Kevin Towers. This is what everyone in baseball knows him to be," Kurkjian told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday. "He is a tough guy who is not afraid to speak his mind. Even though he's a young-ish guy, he's an old-school guy in every way. And being a former pitcher, he is not about to let anybody get away with anything."
Kurkjian said that when Towers took the job, he changed the culture of the team and brought in guys that were going to play hard and tough. If Towers saw any of those players not meet those expectations, he was going to let them know it was not acceptable and this was Towers' way of doing that.
"This is his way of saying, We're getting back to that the minute next season starts, because we're not going .500 again, and more important than that, we're not going to be intimidated by anyone,'" Kurkjian said. "'If someone hits our guy, we're going to hit him back. That's how baseball's worked for 120 years, and we're going to take it back.'"
While Kurkjian understands where Towers is coming from, he doesn't necessarily support it.
"Even though I'm definitely not in favor of hitting anybody on purpose," Kurkjian said, before adding, "I'm telling you, when you don't do your job hitting and retaliating properly, you'll at worst become a pariah on your team."
- Hill, Diamondbacks top Dodgers in extra innings
- Diamondbacks exorcise some demons in win over Dodgers
- D-backs break winless streak, beat Dodgers in extras: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Cody Ross goes hitless in season debut
- Diamondbacks reinstate Cody Ross; designate Ryan Rowland-Smith
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.