ESPN's Kurkjian on D-backs GM's comments: 'This is Kevin Towers'
While most of the reaction has been negative, ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian explained Towers' stance and that it's not a surprise to people within the industry.
"This is Kevin Towers. This is what everyone in baseball knows him to be," Kurkjian told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday. "He is a tough guy who is not afraid to speak his mind. Even though he's a young-ish guy, he's an old-school guy in every way. And being a former pitcher, he is not about to let anybody get away with anything."
Kurkjian said that when Towers took the job, he changed the culture of the team and brought in guys that were going to play hard and tough. If Towers saw any of those players not meet those expectations, he was going to let them know it was not acceptable and this was Towers' way of doing that.
"This is his way of saying, ‘We're getting back to that the minute next season starts, because we're not going .500 again, and more important than that, we're not going to be intimidated by anyone,'" Kurkjian said. "'If someone hits our guy, we're going to hit him back. That's how baseball's worked for 120 years, and we're going to take it back.'"
While Kurkjian understands where Towers is coming from, he doesn't necessarily support it.
"Even though I'm definitely not in favor of hitting anybody on purpose," Kurkjian said, before adding, "I'm telling you, when you don't do your job hitting and retaliating properly, you'll at worst become a pariah on your team."
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.