D-backs' Brandon McCarthy understands GM Kevin Towers' comments
Starting pitcher Brandon McCarthy was a guest host on Fox Sports 1's 'Crowd Goes Wild' and got a chance to respond to Towers' strong comments.
"I get the comments -- they're loud and they're out there, but I understand the underlying point, we do need a personality shift, we do need to be tougher as a team," McCarthy said. "I don't think that necessarily means we need to go out and hit people, it's not a head-hunting thing. It's just simply that we have to change our mentality.
"We're up against a $300 million behemoth (the Los Angeles Dodgers), and the only way you can compete with that is to try and find new ways to beat them, and for us is just going to be a personality and a clubhouse shift."
McCarthy, who plunked five batters in 135 innings of work in 2013, explained to the rest of the panel (including Regis Philbin) that deliberately hitting batters is part of the game.
"Usually a couple a year," he said. "Sometimes, (the order) comes down from the top and somebody tells you 'we need to hit this guy for the sake of balancing things out.'"
McCarthy was also asked about the Dodgers' Chase Field pool celebration after clinching the NL West title in Phoenix last month, but avoided any controversy with his answer.
"I'm fine with it," he said. "Next year is what we need to focus on. It's how do we stop them from swimming in our pool next year? How do we get to celebrate in our pool next year? We open with them in Australia -- you focus on those games and let everything from last year just fall behind."
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Two Diamondbacks scouts named among Baseball America's scouts of the year
- Report: Diamondbacks in serious discussions about acquiring Angels outfielder Mark Trumbo
- Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
- ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick: D-backs trying to acquire elite starting pitcher this winter
- Rays acquire C Hanigan, RHP Bell in 3-team trade
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.