D-backs' Brandon McCarthy understands GM Kevin Towers' comments
Starting pitcher Brandon McCarthy was a guest host on Fox Sports 1's 'Crowd Goes Wild' and got a chance to respond to Towers' strong comments.
"I get the comments -- they're loud and they're out there, but I understand the underlying point, we do need a personality shift, we do need to be tougher as a team," McCarthy said. "I don't think that necessarily means we need to go out and hit people, it's not a head-hunting thing. It's just simply that we have to change our mentality.
"We're up against a $300 million behemoth (the Los Angeles Dodgers), and the only way you can compete with that is to try and find new ways to beat them, and for us is just going to be a personality and a clubhouse shift."
McCarthy, who plunked five batters in 135 innings of work in 2013, explained to the rest of the panel (including Regis Philbin) that deliberately hitting batters is part of the game.
"Usually a couple a year," he said. "Sometimes, (the order) comes down from the top and somebody tells you 'we need to hit this guy for the sake of balancing things out.'"
McCarthy was also asked about the Dodgers' Chase Field pool celebration after clinching the NL West title in Phoenix last month, but avoided any controversy with his answer.
"I'm fine with it," he said. "Next year is what we need to focus on. It's how do we stop them from swimming in our pool next year? How do we get to celebrate in our pool next year? We open with them in Australia -- you focus on those games and let everything from last year just fall behind."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Plate call overturned in D-backs' loss
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.