ESPN Insider: Acquiring David Price makes sense for Arizona Diamondbacks
Price is eligible for arbitration this offseason, and is expected to get a big bump from the $10.1 million he made in 2012, so his salary falls into that category for the Rays.
There is some speculation that the Arizona Diamondbacks would have interest in acquiring the 28-year-old former Cy Young Award winner, but everyone is wondering what the D-backs would have to give up.
In an ESPN Insider piece, Dan Szymborski pinpoints four teams that make sense for Price's services, and just what those teams would have to part with.
And, you guessed it, the D-backs are on the list. Szymborski proposes a deal that would send shortstop Chris Owings, third baseman Matt Davidson and catcher Stryker Trahan to Tampa Bay.
Bringing in Price is the quickest way to match whatever the Dodgers are planning (and obviously would also keep the Dodgers from getting Price themselves) without spending $200 million. The problem that the Diamondbacks face is that they aren't an ideal trade match for the Rays. Their best trade chip, RHP Archie Bradley, is almost certainly off limits, while Davidson doesn't fill a position of need for Tampa Bay because of Evan Longoria.
The proposal is intriguing because it doesn't include Bradley, who was named as the National League's top pitching prospect in May by ESPN's Keith Law.
And yes, this proposed deal would include three of the D-backs' top ten prospects, but all three seemingly have their immediate big league futures blocked by established players Didi Gregorius, Martin Prado and Miguel Montero.
Unfortunately for Arizona fans, Szymborski also has the Dodgers on the list of sensible suitors for Price.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.