Musical of 'An American in Paris' eyes Broadway
NEW YORK (AP) - A stage musical based on the film "An American in Paris" with music by George and Ira Gershwin is aiming for Broadway in 2015 after a stop in- where else?- Paris next December.
Producers said Thursday the new work will be directed and choreographed by Christopher Wheeldon and have a story by Craig Lucas. Bob Crowley has been tapped to make the sets and costumes. The story centers on a romantic tangle in post-war Paris.
The score includes the songs "I Got Rhythm," "S'Wonderful," "But Not For Me," "Stairway to Paradise," "Our Love Is Here To Stay" and "They Can't Take That Away." It will follow on the heels of other recent Gershwin stage hits, "Nice Work If You Can Get It" and "The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess."
The 1951 film "An American in Paris" starred Gene Kelly and was inspired by a 1928 orchestral composition by the Gershwins.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.