Czech artwork makes obscene gesture to president
PRAGUE (AP) - A Czech artist known for his anti-communist stance has floated a huge statue of a hand making an obscene gesture on Prague's main river, days before parliamentary elections that could give the communists a taste of power almost a quarter-century after they were ousted.
David Cerny's giant purple hand, extending an oversized middle finger, was placed on a pontoon on the Vltava river Monday, near the famed Charles Bridge and visible from Prague Castle, the seat of the presidency.
President Milos Zeman supports a plan by the leftist Social Democrats to form a minority government after the vote with tacit support from the maverick Communist Party.
It would be for the first time since the 1989 anti-Communist Velvet Revolution that the party would get power, at least indirectly.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.