Evaluator: 'Shocked' if Matt Williams doesn't get Washington Nationals' managerial job
The team parted ways with pitching coach Charles Nagy and first base coach Steve Sax on Oct. 7. Hitting coach Don Baylor left the organization to pursue the same job with the Los Angeles Angels on Oct. 16.
Kirk Gibson was rumored to be a candidate for the Detroit Tigers' managerial opening Monday.
And then there's third base coach Matt Williams.
Williams interviewed with the Washington Nationals last week regarding their managerial vacancy left after Davey Johnson's retirement, and according to ESPN.com's MLB insider Buster Olney, the 47-year-old must have made quite an impression.
Just one opinion: An evaluator with knowledge of the Nationals' managerial search says he'd be shocked if Matt Williams doesn't get the job.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) October 18, 2013
Williams, who won a World Series with the D-backs in 2001, was hired by the organization back in Nov. 2009. In 2010, he served as the team's first base coach before moving over to the third base side in 2011 -- a post he's held for the past three seasons.
The five-time All-Star's fit in Washington seems to make a lot of sense, considering the team's general manager, Mike Rizzo, served as the D-backs' Director of Scouting from 2000-06.
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.