AP source: Reds choose Price for next manager
CINCINNATI (AP) - The Reds have chosen pitching coach Bryan Price to replace Dusty Baker as their next manager, according to a person familiar with the decision.
The club plans to introduce the 51-year-old Price at a news conference later Tuesday. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because no announcement had been made.
The Cincinnati Enquirer first reported the decision.
Price has never managed at any level. He's been the Reds' pitching coach for the last four seasons, helping them develop one of the best staffs in the majors. Previously, he was the pitching coach for the Mariners and Diamondbacks.
Baker was fired despite getting the Reds to the playoffs three times in the last four years. Cincinnati failed to win a playoff series, prompting the switch.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.