Report: Pitching coach Dave Duncan 'perfect fit' for Diamondbacks
The previous departures of pitching coach Charles Nagy and first base coach Steve Sax, who were both dismissed, and hitting coach Don Baylor, who left for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, now guarantee a new look for the Diamondbacks' coaching posts.
Friday, reports of former backup catcher Henry Blanco joining the staff surfaced, as did such a rumor of Dave McKay, longtime St. Louis Cardinals first base coach, coming on board.
And later in the afternoon, USA Today's Bob Nightengale suggested the possibility of another longtime Cardinals' coach, Dave Duncan, filling one of Gibson's four vacancies.
Keep an eye on pitching guru Dave Duncan, who's the perfect fit to step onto Kirk Gibson's #Dbacks staff to be their pitching coach.— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) October 25, 2013
Duncan previously spent 32 years as a major league coach and 15 as the Cardinals' pitching coach and the team won nine pennants and two World Series championships during his tenure.
Duncan left the Cardinals before the 2012 season to be with his wife, Jeanine, who was battling cancer. She passed away in June.
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.