Report: Pitching coach Dave Duncan 'perfect fit' for Diamondbacks
The previous departures of pitching coach Charles Nagy and first base coach Steve Sax, who were both dismissed, and hitting coach Don Baylor, who left for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, now guarantee a new look for the Diamondbacks' coaching posts.
Friday, reports of former backup catcher Henry Blanco joining the staff surfaced, as did such a rumor of Dave McKay, longtime St. Louis Cardinals first base coach, coming on board.
And later in the afternoon, USA Today's Bob Nightengale suggested the possibility of another longtime Cardinals' coach, Dave Duncan, filling one of Gibson's four vacancies.
Keep an eye on pitching guru Dave Duncan, who's the perfect fit to step onto Kirk Gibson's #Dbacks staff to be their pitching coach.— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) October 25, 2013
Duncan previously spent 32 years as a major league coach and 15 as the Cardinals' pitching coach and the team won nine pennants and two World Series championships during his tenure.
Duncan left the Cardinals before the 2012 season to be with his wife, Jeanine, who was battling cancer. She passed away in June.
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?