Report: Pitching coach Dave Duncan 'perfect fit' for Diamondbacks
The previous departures of pitching coach Charles Nagy and first base coach Steve Sax, who were both dismissed, and hitting coach Don Baylor, who left for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, now guarantee a new look for the Diamondbacks' coaching posts.
Friday, reports of former backup catcher Henry Blanco joining the staff surfaced, as did such a rumor of Dave McKay, longtime St. Louis Cardinals first base coach, coming on board.
And later in the afternoon, USA Today's Bob Nightengale suggested the possibility of another longtime Cardinals' coach, Dave Duncan, filling one of Gibson's four vacancies.
Keep an eye on pitching guru Dave Duncan, who's the perfect fit to step onto Kirk Gibson's #Dbacks staff to be their pitching coach.— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) October 25, 2013
Duncan previously spent 32 years as a major league coach and 15 as the Cardinals' pitching coach and the team won nine pennants and two World Series championships during his tenure.
Duncan left the Cardinals before the 2012 season to be with his wife, Jeanine, who was battling cancer. She passed away in June.
- A little from Trevor Cahill would mean a lot for the D-backs
- Could injuries force Archie Bradley into the starting rotation?
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill leaves early with knee injury vs. Cleveland
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 12Will Archie Bradley make the starting rotation?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.