D-backs' Goldschmidt wins 2013 Hank Aaron Award
Miguel Cabrera of the Detroit Tigers won the award in the American League.
Winners were determined by a fan vote and panel of Hall of Fame players, which included Hank Aaron and Tony Gwynn, among others.
Goldschmidt was selected to his first career All-Star Game in 2013 on his way to a season in which he hit .302 with 36 doubles, 36 home runs, 125 RBIs, 99 walks and 103 runs scored. The 26-year-old led the National League in slugging percentage (.551), extra-base hits (75), RBI and total bases (332), and tied for first in homers. He also ranked third in walks, tied for third in runs scored, fourth with a .401 on-base percentage and tied for 10th in doubles.
Among all Major Leaguers, the right-handed slugger tied for first in go-ahead RBI (37), go-ahead home runs (20), walk-off homers (3), and home runs after the eighth inning (7), while tying for most game-winning RBI (19) and RBI with runners in scoring position (84).
This is the third straight season that a member of an NL West team has won the Hank Aaron award, after the Giants' Buster Posey in 2012 and Dodgers' Matt Kemp and 2011.
Goldschmidt is also a finalist for a Rawlings Gold Glove Award. Winners will be announced Tuesday at 4 p.m. on ESPN2.
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.