Arizona Diamondbacks claim Matt Tuiasosopo from Detroit Tigers; lose RHP Chaz Roe to waivers
Last season with the Tigers, Tuiasosopo made most of his 81 appearances in left field, while also finding time at first base and third base. The right-handed hitter batted .244/ .351/ .415 in 2013, tallying seven home runs and 30 RBI in 191 plate appearances in 191 plate appearances.
Prior to 2013, the 27-year-old spent two seasons in Triple-A -- one with the New York Mets' organization and one with the Seattle Mariners, who Tuiasosopo previously saw major league time with in all of 2008, 2009 and 2010.
A career .207 hitter, the 6-foot-2, 225-pound Tuaisosopo has struggled mightily against left-handed pitching throughout his career, hitting .196/ .293/ .345 against southpaws over 222 such plate appearances.
In a separate transaction, the Diamondbacks also announced that the Texas Rangers had claimed right-handed relief pitcher Chaz Roe off waivers.
Roe made his major league debut with the Diamondbacks last season, appearing in 21 games in three stints with the big league club. The 27-year-old struck out 24 opposing batters in 22.1 innings pitched with the Diamondbacks, managing a 4.03 ERA over the course of the season while going 1-0 and blowing both of his save opportunities.
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.