Arizona Diamondbacks claim Matt Tuiasosopo from Detroit Tigers; lose RHP Chaz Roe to waivers
Last season with the Tigers, Tuiasosopo made most of his 81 appearances in left field, while also finding time at first base and third base. The right-handed hitter batted .244/ .351/ .415 in 2013, tallying seven home runs and 30 RBI in 191 plate appearances in 191 plate appearances.
Prior to 2013, the 27-year-old spent two seasons in Triple-A -- one with the New York Mets' organization and one with the Seattle Mariners, who Tuiasosopo previously saw major league time with in all of 2008, 2009 and 2010.
A career .207 hitter, the 6-foot-2, 225-pound Tuaisosopo has struggled mightily against left-handed pitching throughout his career, hitting .196/ .293/ .345 against southpaws over 222 such plate appearances.
In a separate transaction, the Diamondbacks also announced that the Texas Rangers had claimed right-handed relief pitcher Chaz Roe off waivers.
Roe made his major league debut with the Diamondbacks last season, appearing in 21 games in three stints with the big league club. The 27-year-old struck out 24 opposing batters in 22.1 innings pitched with the Diamondbacks, managing a 4.03 ERA over the course of the season while going 1-0 and blowing both of his save opportunities.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?