Updated Nov 1, 2013 - 3:05 pm
Dave McKay joins Arizona Diamondbacks coaching staff; Glenn Sherlock and Turner Ward promoted
McKay has 30 years of coaching experience in the major leagues, spending time with the St. Louis Cardinals, Oakland Athletics and, most recently, the Chicago Cubs. The 63-year-old, who has coached on three World Series champion staffs, has held major league positions as a bullpen coach, bench coach and first base coach.
"The more people I meet in the organization and the more information I learn about the D-backs, it excites me to now be a part of it," McKay was quoted as saying in the team's official press release. "I couldn't be happier and am looking forward to Spring Training already. It will be great to be home during the season, but being a D-back is what's most exciting."
Two of the other Diamondbacks coaching vacancies were also filled internally Friday, when the organization announced that long-time bullpen coach Glenn Sherlock would be moving to third base and former assistant hitting coach Turner Ward would take over as hitting coach. Those vacancies were left by Matt Williams -- now the manager of the Washington Nationals -- and Don Baylor, who joined the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
Sherlock, who has been with the Diamondbacks for all 17 of their franchise history, expressed his appreciation for the organization promoting him.
"I really appreciate the confidence that Gibby (Manager Kirk Gibson) and KT have in me to be Third Base Coach for the D-backs," Sherlock said, according to the organization's release.
"I've enjoyed my time as Bullpen Coach and will miss the day-to-day grind with the relievers, but being at third will allow me to spend more time in-game with Miggy (catcher Miguel Montero) and the catchers. This is a tremendous opportunity, and I feel I'm prepared for the challenge."
Alan Trammell, the team announced, would be returning for his fourth consecutive season as the bench coach.
The Diamondbacks remain without a pitching coach on staff following the firing of Charles Nagy earlier this month. Sherlock's former position in the bullpen has also not yet been filled.
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Gerardo Parra to Milwaukee Brewers for prospects Mitch Haniger and Anthony Banda
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.