Updated Nov 1, 2013 - 3:05 pm
Dave McKay joins Arizona Diamondbacks coaching staff; Glenn Sherlock and Turner Ward promoted
McKay has 30 years of coaching experience in the major leagues, spending time with the St. Louis Cardinals, Oakland Athletics and, most recently, the Chicago Cubs. The 63-year-old, who has coached on three World Series champion staffs, has held major league positions as a bullpen coach, bench coach and first base coach.
"The more people I meet in the organization and the more information I learn about the D-backs, it excites me to now be a part of it," McKay was quoted as saying in the team's official press release. "I couldn't be happier and am looking forward to Spring Training already. It will be great to be home during the season, but being a D-back is what's most exciting."
Two of the other Diamondbacks coaching vacancies were also filled internally Friday, when the organization announced that long-time bullpen coach Glenn Sherlock would be moving to third base and former assistant hitting coach Turner Ward would take over as hitting coach. Those vacancies were left by Matt Williams -- now the manager of the Washington Nationals -- and Don Baylor, who joined the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
Sherlock, who has been with the Diamondbacks for all 17 of their franchise history, expressed his appreciation for the organization promoting him.
"I really appreciate the confidence that Gibby (Manager Kirk Gibson) and KT have in me to be Third Base Coach for the D-backs," Sherlock said, according to the organization's release.
"I've enjoyed my time as Bullpen Coach and will miss the day-to-day grind with the relievers, but being at third will allow me to spend more time in-game with Miggy (catcher Miguel Montero) and the catchers. This is a tremendous opportunity, and I feel I'm prepared for the challenge."
Alan Trammell, the team announced, would be returning for his fourth consecutive season as the bench coach.
The Diamondbacks remain without a pitching coach on staff following the firing of Charles Nagy earlier this month. Sherlock's former position in the bullpen has also not yet been filled.
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 9When is it time to make changes?