Unpublished Salinger biography heads to NY auction
NEW YORK (AP) - An unauthorized and never-published biography of J.D. Salinger is expected to bring up to $6,000 at auction.
Ian Hamilton's "J.D. Salinger: A Writing Life" is being offered at Swann Auction Galleries on Nov. 21.
It is being sold by a private American collector and has a pre-sale estimate of $4,000 to $6,000.
Salinger, who died in 2010, successfully blocked release of Hamilton's book in 1987, citing the use of previously unpublished letters.
A spokeswoman for Salinger's estate did not immediately return a call seeking comment.
The bound, uncorrected proof was one of about 100 that were printed as review copies, said John Larson, Swann's 19th - and 20th - century literature specialist. The author's name is misspelled on the title page as "Hamiton."
Larson said none has ever come up at auction.
"This is definitely a wild card. There may be extreme interest because it's the first," he said.
Larson said the timing was good, citing a new biography and recent documentary about the reclusive novelist.
Hamilton described his legal battle over the book in "Searching for J.D. Salinger," published in 1988.
Hamilton died in 2001.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.