Unpublished Salinger biography heads to NY auction
NEW YORK (AP) - An unauthorized and never-published biography of J.D. Salinger is expected to bring up to $6,000 at auction.
Ian Hamilton's "J.D. Salinger: A Writing Life" is being offered at Swann Auction Galleries on Nov. 21.
It is being sold by a private American collector and has a pre-sale estimate of $4,000 to $6,000.
Salinger, who died in 2010, successfully blocked release of Hamilton's book in 1987, citing the use of previously unpublished letters.
A spokeswoman for Salinger's estate did not immediately return a call seeking comment.
The bound, uncorrected proof was one of about 100 that were printed as review copies, said John Larson, Swann's 19th - and 20th - century literature specialist. The author's name is misspelled on the title page as "Hamiton."
Larson said none has ever come up at auction.
"This is definitely a wild card. There may be extreme interest because it's the first," he said.
Larson said the timing was good, citing a new biography and recent documentary about the reclusive novelist.
Hamilton described his legal battle over the book in "Searching for J.D. Salinger," published in 1988.
Hamilton died in 2001.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?