Updated Nov 12, 2013 - 4:30 pm
D-backs hire Dave Duncan as consultant/special assistant
The Diamondbacks have hired pitching guru Dave Duncan as a pitching consultant/special assitant to the GM— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) November 12, 2013
The team had reportedly tried to lure Duncan out of retirement to be their pitching coach, but instead he'll advise the replacement for Charles Nagy, who was relieved of his duties at the conclusion of the 2013 season.
Duncan, 68, began his Major League coaching career in 1978 with the Cleveland Indians and was one of baseball's top pitching coaches during his stints with the Chicago White Sox (1983-1986), Oakland A's (1986-1995) and St. Louis Cardinals (1996-2011).
Four pitchers (LaMarr Hoyt in 1983, Bob Welch in 1990, Dennis Eckersley in 1992 and Chris Carpenter in 2005) won Cy Young Awards under Duncan's tutelage.
Duncan took a leave of absence from the Cardinals in early 2012 to spend time with his ailing wife, Jeanine, who passed away in June.
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.