Updated Nov 12, 2013 - 4:30 pm
D-backs hire Dave Duncan as consultant/special assistant
The Diamondbacks have hired pitching guru Dave Duncan as a pitching consultant/special assitant to the GM— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) November 12, 2013
The team had reportedly tried to lure Duncan out of retirement to be their pitching coach, but instead he'll advise the replacement for Charles Nagy, who was relieved of his duties at the conclusion of the 2013 season.
Duncan, 68, began his Major League coaching career in 1978 with the Cleveland Indians and was one of baseball's top pitching coaches during his stints with the Chicago White Sox (1983-1986), Oakland A's (1986-1995) and St. Louis Cardinals (1996-2011).
Four pitchers (LaMarr Hoyt in 1983, Bob Welch in 1990, Dennis Eckersley in 1992 and Chris Carpenter in 2005) won Cy Young Awards under Duncan's tutelage.
Duncan took a leave of absence from the Cardinals in early 2012 to spend time with his ailing wife, Jeanine, who passed away in June.
- ESPN analyst Kurkjian: Arizona Diamondbacks 'not doing anything right'
- D-backs' Derrick Hall: Losses mounting because players are pressing
- D-backs prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest start
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.