Updated Nov 12, 2013 - 4:30 pm
D-backs hire Dave Duncan as consultant/special assistant
The Diamondbacks have hired pitching guru Dave Duncan as a pitching consultant/special assitant to the GM— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) November 12, 2013
The team had reportedly tried to lure Duncan out of retirement to be their pitching coach, but instead he'll advise the replacement for Charles Nagy, who was relieved of his duties at the conclusion of the 2013 season.
Duncan, 68, began his Major League coaching career in 1978 with the Cleveland Indians and was one of baseball's top pitching coaches during his stints with the Chicago White Sox (1983-1986), Oakland A's (1986-1995) and St. Louis Cardinals (1996-2011).
Four pitchers (LaMarr Hoyt in 1983, Bob Welch in 1990, Dennis Eckersley in 1992 and Chris Carpenter in 2005) won Cy Young Awards under Duncan's tutelage.
Duncan took a leave of absence from the Cardinals in early 2012 to spend time with his ailing wife, Jeanine, who passed away in June.
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.