Updated Nov 12, 2013 - 4:30 pm
D-backs hire Dave Duncan as consultant/special assistant
The Diamondbacks have hired pitching guru Dave Duncan as a pitching consultant/special assitant to the GM— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) November 12, 2013
The team had reportedly tried to lure Duncan out of retirement to be their pitching coach, but instead he'll advise the replacement for Charles Nagy, who was relieved of his duties at the conclusion of the 2013 season.
Duncan, 68, began his Major League coaching career in 1978 with the Cleveland Indians and was one of baseball's top pitching coaches during his stints with the Chicago White Sox (1983-1986), Oakland A's (1986-1995) and St. Louis Cardinals (1996-2011).
Four pitchers (LaMarr Hoyt in 1983, Bob Welch in 1990, Dennis Eckersley in 1992 and Chris Carpenter in 2005) won Cy Young Awards under Duncan's tutelage.
Duncan took a leave of absence from the Cardinals in early 2012 to spend time with his ailing wife, Jeanine, who passed away in June.
- In second year with D-backs, Martin Prado finally feeling 'comfortable and settled'
- No clear lineup materializing for 2014 Arizona Diamondbacks
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill 'unable to execute' against Oakland
- D-backs president Hall: Mark Trumbo is 'everything as advertised'
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Patrick Corbin where he needs to be moving towards season opener
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.