Report: D-backs have interest in re-acquiring Max Scherzer
Scherzer broke into the Big Leagues with the D-backs in 2008 and became a full-fledged member of the their rotation in 2009 when he went 9-11 with a 4.10 ERA in 30 starts.
Following the season, Scherzer was shipped off to Detroit in a three-way deal that brought right-handers Ian Kennedy and Edwin Jackson to the desert.
Four years later, Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports is reporting the Diamondbacks have interest in bringing Scherzer, the front-runner to win the American League Cy Young Award, back to Arizona.
Count the Diamondbacks among the clubs that plan to take a shot at Scherzer, according to major league sources. The D-backs — like another interested club, the Nationals — know that they could part with less for Scherzer, who is only one year away from free agency, than for Rays lefty David Price, who is under club control for two more years.
Scherzer, 29, went 21-3 with a 2.90 ERA for the AL Central champion Tigers in 2013. In his four-year stint in Detroit, he's posted a 64-30 record with a 3.62 ERA.
Rosenthal notes that any team that deals for Scherzer could extend him a qualifying offer, which would at least assure the club compensation should the pitcher sign elsewhere in free agency following the 2014 season.
- In second year with D-backs, Martin Prado finally feeling 'comfortable and settled'
- No clear lineup materializing for 2014 Arizona Diamondbacks
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill 'unable to execute' against Oakland
- D-backs president Hall: Mark Trumbo is 'everything as advertised'
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Patrick Corbin where he needs to be moving towards season opener
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.