Report: Arizona Diamondbacks interviewed four pitching coach candidates
So far four candidates interviewed for Dbacks pitching coach -- Brad Arnsberg, Doug Brocail, Mike Harkey and Mel Stottlemyre Jr— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) November 20, 2013
Arnsberg served as the Houston Astros' pitching coach from Oct. 2009 to June 2011, when he was fired and replaced with, coincidentally, Brocail. Arnsberg is currently a major and minor league rehab coordinator with the D-backs organization.
After taking over as the Astros' pitching coach from Arnsberg, Brocail remained in that role through the 2013 season, at which point the club moved him to special assistant position. Brocail spent 15 years in the majors, most of them as a relief pitcher, and had a career 4.00 ERA.
Harkey had previously been reported as a candidate by Gambo, and he has spent the last six seasons as the New York Yankees' bullpen coach.
Now an organizational pitching coordinator for the D-backs, Stottlemyre Jr. previously served as Arizona's pitching coach in 2009 and 2010. The D-backs had a 4.42 ERA in 2009, and in 2010 the team was second-to-last in the National League with a 4.81 ERA.
Earlier this month, the D-backs hired legendary pitching coach Dave Duncan to serve as a special adviser for whoever the club ends up hiring. The position became available when the D-backs fired Charles Nagy shortly after the season ended.
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?