Report: Willie Bloomquist close to signing with Seattle Mariners
According to Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports, the veteran utility player is close to leaving the Arizona Diamondbacks to sign a deal with the Seattle Mariners.
Sources: Bloomquist deal with #Mariners is $5.8M for two years.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 2, 2013
This would be Bloomquist's second stint with Seattle, the team that selected him in the third round of the 1999 MLB First-Year Player Draft out of Arizona State. He played in parts of seven seasons for the Mariners, hitting .263 with six home runs and 98 RBI before signing with the Kansas City Royals prior to the 2009 season.
After being granted free agency in 2010, Bloomquist signed a one-year deal with the Diamondbacks. In 2011, he played a key role for the NL West champion D-backs, playing in 97 games and hitting .266 with four home runs and 26 RBI while filling in at shortstop for the injured Stephen Drew.
He then re-signed with Arizona on a one-year deal with a mutual option for a second season.
In three seasons in Arizona, Bloomquist hit .289 with four homers and 63 runs batted in, while providing veteran leadership for manager Kirk Gibson.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.