Updated Dec 3, 2013 - 6:01 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks non-tender Daniel Hudson, pitcher becomes a free agent
Now, he's no longer a member of the team.
The Diamondbacks announced late Monday that they had non-tendered Hudson, making the 26-year-old an unrestricted free agent.
"I think we kind of ran out of time," D-backs GM Kevin Towers said. "I think that we were, more than likely -- and I can't speak to the other side -- but I would like to say that we were at the five-yard line or inside of that, so my hope is that we will come to a resolution here and he will be a Diamondback here in the very near future."
A 16-game winner for the 2011 NL West champions, Hudson has been plagued by arm trouble over the last year and a half, making only nine largely-ineffictive starts in 2012 before needing Tommy John surgery. He was set to return midway through the 2013 season, but reinjured his right elbow during a rehab start and was forced to undergo a second procedure.
Towers understands there is risk in letting Hudson become a free agent, but believes the sides are close enough to come to an agreement that will keep the pitcher in Arizona, where he appears to want to be.
"Knowing how Huddy feels about the organization, about our training staff, the comfort level of knowing the type of treatment and patience this organization's going to have with him, I feel cautiously optimistic that we'll get something done here shortly," Towers added.
For his part, it appears Hudson has little interest in leaving town.
My heart is still pumping Sedona Red. Not closing any books. Patience is key!— Daniel Hudson (@DHuddy41) December 3, 2013
Hudson, who was acquired by the Diamondbacks in 2010 along with David Holmberg in exchange for Edwin Jackson, has compiled a 26-15 record with a 3.58 ERA in 53 starts for Arizona.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.