Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
According to FOXSports.com MLB writer Ken Rosenthal, the D-backs and Oakland Athletics were in talks this week to swap A.J. Pollock, Tyler Skaggs and more for outfielder Yoenis Cespedes.
Both teams now say they were not comfortable with particular deal. For one thing, #Athletics only would trade Cespedes for monster return.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 4, 2013
In just his second big league season, Cespedes hit .246 with 26 home runs and 80 RBI with the Athletics. During his rookie season, the 28-year-old Cuban finished 10th in the MVP voting, hitting .292 with 23 home runs, 82 RBI and 16 stolen bases.
While the deal broke down because both teams "were not comfortable," Rosenthal added that the Pollock-Skaggs combination could be used later on to acquire a power bat.
Pollock hit .269 with eight home runs and 38 RBIs in 137 games. Skaggs, who went back and forth between Arizona and Triple-A Reno last season, went 2-3 with a 5.12 ERA in seven starts.
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.