Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
According to FOXSports.com MLB writer Ken Rosenthal, the D-backs and Oakland Athletics were in talks this week to swap A.J. Pollock, Tyler Skaggs and more for outfielder Yoenis Cespedes.
Both teams now say they were not comfortable with particular deal. For one thing, #Athletics only would trade Cespedes for monster return.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 4, 2013
In just his second big league season, Cespedes hit .246 with 26 home runs and 80 RBI with the Athletics. During his rookie season, the 28-year-old Cuban finished 10th in the MVP voting, hitting .292 with 23 home runs, 82 RBI and 16 stolen bases.
While the deal broke down because both teams "were not comfortable," Rosenthal added that the Pollock-Skaggs combination could be used later on to acquire a power bat.
Pollock hit .269 with eight home runs and 38 RBIs in 137 games. Skaggs, who went back and forth between Arizona and Triple-A Reno last season, went 2-3 with a 5.12 ERA in seven starts.
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.