Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
According to FOXSports.com MLB writer Ken Rosenthal, the D-backs and Oakland Athletics were in talks this week to swap A.J. Pollock, Tyler Skaggs and more for outfielder Yoenis Cespedes.
Both teams now say they were not comfortable with particular deal. For one thing, #Athletics only would trade Cespedes for monster return.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 4, 2013
In just his second big league season, Cespedes hit .246 with 26 home runs and 80 RBI with the Athletics. During his rookie season, the 28-year-old Cuban finished 10th in the MVP voting, hitting .292 with 23 home runs, 82 RBI and 16 stolen bases.
While the deal broke down because both teams "were not comfortable," Rosenthal added that the Pollock-Skaggs combination could be used later on to acquire a power bat.
Pollock hit .269 with eight home runs and 38 RBIs in 137 games. Skaggs, who went back and forth between Arizona and Triple-A Reno last season, went 2-3 with a 5.12 ERA in seven starts.
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 9When is it time to make changes?