Updated Dec 10, 2013 - 10:22 am
Report: Diamondbacks in serious discussions about acquiring Angels outfielder Mark Trumbo
Reports had Arizona trying to land either Oakland Athletics outfielder Yoenis Cespedes or free agent outfielder Carlos Beltran. Neither of those moves came to fruition, but it turns out the team is still trying to find a corner outfielder, who also has a big bat.
According to USA Today MLB writer Bob Nightengale, Kevin Towers has now turned his sights on the Los Angeles Angels' Mark Trumbo.
Trumbo, who hit .234 with a career-high 34 home runs and 100 RBI in 203, is still on his rookie contract but will be eligible for arbitration at the end of the 2014 season.
The 2012 All-Star has played three full seasons in the league, alternating between first base, left field and right field.
In order to acquire Trumbo's services, Nightengale suggested that the D-backs will have to part with at least one starting pitcher.
Monday evening, ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick tweeted that he had confirmed pitchers Trevor Cahill and Tyler Skaggs have been mentioned in the deal to acquire Trumbo.
The 22-year-old Skaggs went 2-3 with a 5.12 ERA in seven starts in 2013. Cahill, 25, won eight and lost 10 last season while posting a 3.99 ERA and starting 25 games out of his 26 appearances.
Update: ESPN's Keith Law said on Twitter Tuesday that D-backs center fielder Adam Eaton may be involved in a three-team trade that would send Eaton to the Chicago White Sox, Trumbo to the D-backs and Chicago pitcher Hector Santiago to the Angels.
Hearing Skaggs-Trumbo discussion now includes White Sox possibly getting Adam Eaton, sending Hector Santiago to Angels— keithlaw (@keithlaw) December 10, 2013
The Angels would also likely receive a pitcher from the D-backs, though Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register said on Twitter there's "zero chance" the D-backs would part with both Cahill and Skaggs in a trade for Trumbo.
I'm told there is absolutely zero chance of the Diamondbacks trading both Cahill and Skaggs to #Angels in any deal.— Jeff Fletcher (@JeffFletcherOCR) December 10, 2013
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.