Updated Dec 11, 2013 - 11:52 am
Arizona Diamondbacks' GM Kevin Towers on why he traded Tyler Skaggs
To land the slugger, the D-backs parted with 22-year-old left-handed pitching prospect Tyler Skaggs, whom Keith Law of ESPN had rated as his 12th-best minor league prospect as recently as February.
General manager Kevin Towers, the man who completed the deal, joined Doug and Wolf Wednesday on Arizona Sports 620, and talked about what the Diamondbacks gave up in Skaggs.
"He's going back to the organization he started with," Towers said. "Last year was a disappointing year -- he was in the running there (for the fifth starter spot) with (Randall) Delgado and (Patrick) Corbin and was beat out by Corbin.
"(Skaggs) went to Reno and the velocity was of some concern to us, it went down from mid-90s to 88 or 89 at the end of the year. He did not have the confidence in his fastball command that he had in the past. You know, it may be a mechanical adjustment, who knows? When we talked to ballclubs about him, I think the knock why people were worried was 'why the big drop in velocity?'"
A glance at Skaggs' numbers from the 2012 season on BrooksBaseball.net, when he made six Major League starts with the Diamondbacks, shows average fastball velocity ranging from 88.8 mph (Sept. 20 vs. SD) on the low end to 91.4 mph (Aug. 22 vs. MIA) on the high end.
Skaggs' 2013 numbers look similar, with fastball velocity ranging from 88.7 mph (July 27 vs. SD) to 90.6 mph (May 27 vs. Texas).
"That's something that I'm sure the Angels are going to look at right now," Towers said. "But we like our pitching. We like Delgado, we like Corbin. We think Archie Bradley would probably be a step ahead of (Skaggs) if a young pitcher was to make our ballclub this year."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.