Updated Dec 11, 2013 - 11:52 am
Arizona Diamondbacks' GM Kevin Towers on why he traded Tyler Skaggs
To land the slugger, the D-backs parted with 22-year-old left-handed pitching prospect Tyler Skaggs, whom Keith Law of ESPN had rated as his 12th-best minor league prospect as recently as February.
General manager Kevin Towers, the man who completed the deal, joined Doug and Wolf Wednesday on Arizona Sports 620, and talked about what the Diamondbacks gave up in Skaggs.
"He's going back to the organization he started with," Towers said. "Last year was a disappointing year -- he was in the running there (for the fifth starter spot) with (Randall) Delgado and (Patrick) Corbin and was beat out by Corbin.
"(Skaggs) went to Reno and the velocity was of some concern to us, it went down from mid-90s to 88 or 89 at the end of the year. He did not have the confidence in his fastball command that he had in the past. You know, it may be a mechanical adjustment, who knows? When we talked to ballclubs about him, I think the knock why people were worried was 'why the big drop in velocity?'"
A glance at Skaggs' numbers from the 2012 season on BrooksBaseball.net, when he made six Major League starts with the Diamondbacks, shows average fastball velocity ranging from 88.8 mph (Sept. 20 vs. SD) on the low end to 91.4 mph (Aug. 22 vs. MIA) on the high end.
Skaggs' 2013 numbers look similar, with fastball velocity ranging from 88.7 mph (July 27 vs. SD) to 90.6 mph (May 27 vs. Texas).
"That's something that I'm sure the Angels are going to look at right now," Towers said. "But we like our pitching. We like Delgado, we like Corbin. We think Archie Bradley would probably be a step ahead of (Skaggs) if a young pitcher was to make our ballclub this year."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.