Updated Dec 12, 2013 - 8:47 am
D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
The team selected right-handed pitcher Marcos Mateo from the Chicago Cubs, then selected right-hander Michael Lee from the Atlanta Braves and left-hander Hector Hernandez from the St. Louis Cardinals in the Triple-A phase.
Mateo is a 29-year-old Dominican native who pitched 44 games out of the Cubs' bullpen in 2010 and 2011. He missed the 2012 season while recovering from Tommy John surgery, but pitched in 24 minor league games with the Cubs' Arizona Rookie League team, Double-A Tennessee and Triple-A Iowa, posting a 1-0 record and a 2.74 ERA last season.
Lee, 27, is 6-foot-7, 235-pounder who was an eighth-round pick of the Boston Red Sox in 2008. He split the 2013 season between Double-A Mississippi and Triple-A Gwinnett in the Braves organization, going 9-8 with a 3.77 ERA in 26 games (21 starts).
Hernandez, 22, spent last season in A-ball, split between Peoria of the Midwest League and Palm Beach in the High-A Florida State League. The southpaw went 8-6 with a 3.55 ERA in 22 games, 21 of which were starts.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.