Updated Dec 12, 2013 - 8:47 am
D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
The team selected right-handed pitcher Marcos Mateo from the Chicago Cubs, then selected right-hander Michael Lee from the Atlanta Braves and left-hander Hector Hernandez from the St. Louis Cardinals in the Triple-A phase.
Mateo is a 29-year-old Dominican native who pitched 44 games out of the Cubs' bullpen in 2010 and 2011. He missed the 2012 season while recovering from Tommy John surgery, but pitched in 24 minor league games with the Cubs' Arizona Rookie League team, Double-A Tennessee and Triple-A Iowa, posting a 1-0 record and a 2.74 ERA last season.
Lee, 27, is 6-foot-7, 235-pounder who was an eighth-round pick of the Boston Red Sox in 2008. He split the 2013 season between Double-A Mississippi and Triple-A Gwinnett in the Braves organization, going 9-8 with a 3.77 ERA in 26 games (21 starts).
Hernandez, 22, spent last season in A-ball, split between Peoria of the Midwest League and Palm Beach in the High-A Florida State League. The southpaw went 8-6 with a 3.55 ERA in 22 games, 21 of which were starts.
- Four-run fifth inning does in McCarthy, D-backs in loss to Cubs: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: 'If we don't start winning, I should be held accountable'
- Diamondbacks didn't have a chance after Sydney
- Prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest outing
- Wood homers, allows 1 run in Cubs' win
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?