Report: RHP Addison Reed could be flipped for future trade
Reed, who will be 25 on Opening Day 2014, managed a career-high 40 saves with the White Sox last season, also setting career highs in wins (5), appearances (68), innings (71.1) and strikeouts (72). He had eight blown saves and a 3.79 ERA in 2013 and was brought in to help a bullpen which blew a league-high 29 saves last season.
The trade seems to betray earlier offseason sentiment by general manager Kevin Towers, who projected confidence in his internal bullpen options.
"I think the (2014) closer is in the Diamondbacks organization," he said following the conclusion of last season.
With David Hernandez, J.J. Putz and Brad Ziegler at the back of the big league bullpen and closing prospects Matt Stites and Jake Barrett climbing the ranks at the lower levels, it was easy to understand why Towers believed as much.
And one national baseball writer, USA Today's Bob Nightengale, believes Towers may still believe this.
If Reed is, indeed, flipped in a trade for a top-of-the-rotation starter, the move will presumably be to a team who has no need at third base, as Davidson's value on the hot corner now belongs to the White Sox.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.