Updated Dec 20, 2013 - 12:11 pm
D-backs bring back 3B Eric Chavez for 2014 season
On Friday, the team officially announced that they had agreed to terms with Chavez -- confirming multiple reports on the matter earlier in the week.
It was known that the Valley resident was interested in rejoining the Diamondbacks, but he was reportedly monitoring the team's offseason activity while gauging his decision.
CBS Sports' Jon Heyman, who originally reported the deal on Wednesday, when the agreement was just verbal, reports that the contract is worth $4.5 million, as long as the third baseman makes the roster out of spring training.
When healthy, the left-handed hitting Chavez played a key bench role for the Diamondbacks last season -- hitting .281/ .332/ .478 with 44 RBI over 80 games.
Chavez twice hit the 15-day disabled list last season, once with an oblique injury and once with a knee strain while missing 15 and 25 games respectively on the stints. In July, the former Oakland Athletic and New York Yankee also missed four games with a hip injury.
The six-time Gold Glover (2001-2006) boasts a .268 lifetime batting average, tallying 257 career home runs and an .818 on-base plus slugging percentage. He captured a Silver Slugger award in 2002 for his offensive exploits as the Athletics' third baseman.
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.