Updated Dec 20, 2013 - 12:11 pm
D-backs bring back 3B Eric Chavez for 2014 season
On Friday, the team officially announced that they had agreed to terms with Chavez -- confirming multiple reports on the matter earlier in the week.
It was known that the Valley resident was interested in rejoining the Diamondbacks, but he was reportedly monitoring the team's offseason activity while gauging his decision.
CBS Sports' Jon Heyman, who originally reported the deal on Wednesday, when the agreement was just verbal, reports that the contract is worth $4.5 million, as long as the third baseman makes the roster out of spring training.
When healthy, the left-handed hitting Chavez played a key bench role for the Diamondbacks last season -- hitting .281/ .332/ .478 with 44 RBI over 80 games.
Chavez twice hit the 15-day disabled list last season, once with an oblique injury and once with a knee strain while missing 15 and 25 games respectively on the stints. In July, the former Oakland Athletic and New York Yankee also missed four games with a hip injury.
The six-time Gold Glover (2001-2006) boasts a .268 lifetime batting average, tallying 257 career home runs and an .818 on-base plus slugging percentage. He captured a Silver Slugger award in 2002 for his offensive exploits as the Athletics' third baseman.
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.