Updated Dec 20, 2013 - 4:36 pm
Diamondbacks extend relief pitcher Brad Ziegler
Just agreed to an extension with the @Dbacks! Really excited to stay in Arizona for a couple more years, at least!— Brad Ziegler (@BradZiegler) December 20, 2013
The Diamondbacks announced the deal, adding that it allows both sides to avoid arbitration. Their commitment to the side-armed throwing Ziegler isn't surprising, given his effective stint with the team over the last three seasons. Since being acquired by the Diamondbacks at the trade deadline in 2011, Ziegler has pitched 162.1 innings, compiling a 2.10 ERA while leading baseball in groundball rate each season.
He's happy to be staying with the team and happy it was finished before next week.
"I'm ecstatic! Glad we could work this out before the holidays -- it's a nice Christmas present," Ziegler said via text.
In 2013, Ziegler filled in at the back end of the Diamondbacks bullpen, getting 13 saves in 15 opportunities and assuming the closer role for most of the second half of the season, appearing in 78 games while going 8-1.
Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports reported the financials of Ziegler's contract following the player's tweet.
Ziegler two-year deal with #DBacks worth $10.5M guaranteed. $4.5M, $5.5M, $1M buyout or $5.5M option.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 20, 2013
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?