Updated Dec 21, 2013 - 10:13 am
Mark Grace named D-backs minor league hitting coach
According to an announcement by the Diamondbacks released Friday, Grace will serve as the hitting coach of the Single-A Hillsboro Hops, who were formerly known as the Yakima Bears.
The Diamondbacks' commitment to a relationship with Grace, who was indicted with DUI charges both 2011 and 2012, while serving as the team's color broadcaster on television, is noteworthy. Grace roamed the minor league ranks for the Diamondbacks in 2013, following a stint as an infield and hitting instructor during spring training.
Team president and CEO Derrick Hall said at the time of that announcement that he valued Grace's ability to teach.
"Mark's going to have a great influence, of course he had a special career but in addition to that he can now talk to them and teach them the rights and wrongs off the field," Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall said. "He's a perfect example and he's told us he's willing to do so."
A mascot mimicking Grace remains a key fixture in the Diamondbacks' Legends Race, despite the previous struggles.
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?