Updated Dec 21, 2013 - 10:13 am
Mark Grace named D-backs minor league hitting coach
According to an announcement by the Diamondbacks released Friday, Grace will serve as the hitting coach of the Single-A Hillsboro Hops, who were formerly known as the Yakima Bears.
The Diamondbacks' commitment to a relationship with Grace, who was indicted with DUI charges both 2011 and 2012, while serving as the team's color broadcaster on television, is noteworthy. Grace roamed the minor league ranks for the Diamondbacks in 2013, following a stint as an infield and hitting instructor during spring training.
Team president and CEO Derrick Hall said at the time of that announcement that he valued Grace's ability to teach.
"Mark's going to have a great influence, of course he had a special career but in addition to that he can now talk to them and teach them the rights and wrongs off the field," Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall said. "He's a perfect example and he's told us he's willing to do so."
A mascot mimicking Grace remains a key fixture in the Diamondbacks' Legends Race, despite the previous struggles.
- Does Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Trevor Cahill pitch better when Tuffy Gosewich is catching?
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.