Updated Dec 21, 2013 - 10:13 am
Mark Grace named D-backs minor league hitting coach
According to an announcement by the Diamondbacks released Friday, Grace will serve as the hitting coach of the Single-A Hillsboro Hops, who were formerly known as the Yakima Bears.
The Diamondbacks' commitment to a relationship with Grace, who was indicted with DUI charges both 2011 and 2012, while serving as the team's color broadcaster on television, is noteworthy. Grace roamed the minor league ranks for the Diamondbacks in 2013, following a stint as an infield and hitting instructor during spring training.
Team president and CEO Derrick Hall said at the time of that announcement that he valued Grace's ability to teach.
"Mark's going to have a great influence, of course he had a special career but in addition to that he can now talk to them and teach them the rights and wrongs off the field," Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall said. "He's a perfect example and he's told us he's willing to do so."
A mascot mimicking Grace remains a key fixture in the Diamondbacks' Legends Race, despite the previous struggles.
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.