D-backs RHP Addison Reed: 'I'm not a guy who's going to be timid out there'
Last week, Towers traded Matt Davidson -- the No. 4 third base prospect in baseball -- for young, up-and-coming closer Addison Reed.
Formerly of the Chicago White Sox, Reed is relatively unknown to Diamondbacks fans, having never faced the team while pitching in a different league and division.
A guest on Arizona Sports 620's Hot Stove Show, Reed, then, let fans know his general approach and style.
"I'm going to attack the hitter," Reed began. "I'm not a guy who's going to be timid out there."
In effect, Reed lets on a little about his repertoire.
"I like to use my fastball a lot," he told.
For every three pitches has thrown throughout the course of his career, two of them have been fastballs. But he's working to diversify his pitch selection a little more as of late.
"Last year, I started to mix in my slider a little bit more and all last season," Reed said. "And this offseason, the main focus has been slider and changeup."
To date, Reed's non-fastball pitches have accounted for 32 percent of his career pitches, having thrown his slider 24 percent of the time and his changeup eight percent of the time.
Last season, the 25-year-old averaged a fastball velocity of 92.8 miles per hour -- down from 94.6 in 2012 and 94.9 in 2011, the year of his big league debut. His slider also dropped in velocity from 84.2 miles per hour to 83.7. His changeup, meanwhile, was more effective than his slider among his secondary pitches.
"I'm trying to perfect the changeup to where I can throw it in any count, any situation," Reed went on. "Last year, I got to the point with my slider to where I could throw it 0-0 or 3-2 -- no matter what the situation."
"Hopefully this year I'll have three pitches that I can throw at anytime in the count."
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.