D-backs left off of list of teams with shot at Masahiro Tanaka
The list, titled 'Five teams with the best shot at Tanaka' (subscription required), had the New York Yankees as the top prospective team with a shot at the Japanese star.
The Los Angeles Angels (2), Texas Rangers (3), Los Angeles Dodgers (4) and Atlanta Braves (5) rounded out the list.
Tanaka went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA with his Nippon Professional Baseball team, the Rakuten Eagles, during the regular season. Any team wanting to lure Tanaka from the Eagles will need to pay posting fees, which have been capped at $20 million under a new set of terms agreed to between MLB and Nippon.
Bidding is currently underway for the 25-year-old right-hander. All bids must be submitted by Jan. 24 at 5:00 p.m. EST, according to Major League Baseball spokesman Michael Teevan.
The Diamondbacks' exclusion from the ESPN list, which was authored by Jim Bowden, stands contrary to previous reports, which had the team pegged as one of the frontrunners for Tanaka.
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.