D-backs left off of list of teams with shot at Masahiro Tanaka
The list, titled 'Five teams with the best shot at Tanaka' (subscription required), had the New York Yankees as the top prospective team with a shot at the Japanese star.
The Los Angeles Angels (2), Texas Rangers (3), Los Angeles Dodgers (4) and Atlanta Braves (5) rounded out the list.
Tanaka went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA with his Nippon Professional Baseball team, the Rakuten Eagles, during the regular season. Any team wanting to lure Tanaka from the Eagles will need to pay posting fees, which have been capped at $20 million under a new set of terms agreed to between MLB and Nippon.
Bidding is currently underway for the 25-year-old right-hander. All bids must be submitted by Jan. 24 at 5:00 p.m. EST, according to Major League Baseball spokesman Michael Teevan.
The Diamondbacks' exclusion from the ESPN list, which was authored by Jim Bowden, stands contrary to previous reports, which had the team pegged as one of the frontrunners for Tanaka.
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.