D-backs left off of list of teams with shot at Masahiro Tanaka
The list, titled 'Five teams with the best shot at Tanaka' (subscription required), had the New York Yankees as the top prospective team with a shot at the Japanese star.
The Los Angeles Angels (2), Texas Rangers (3), Los Angeles Dodgers (4) and Atlanta Braves (5) rounded out the list.
Tanaka went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA with his Nippon Professional Baseball team, the Rakuten Eagles, during the regular season. Any team wanting to lure Tanaka from the Eagles will need to pay posting fees, which have been capped at $20 million under a new set of terms agreed to between MLB and Nippon.
Bidding is currently underway for the 25-year-old right-hander. All bids must be submitted by Jan. 24 at 5:00 p.m. EST, according to Major League Baseball spokesman Michael Teevan.
The Diamondbacks' exclusion from the ESPN list, which was authored by Jim Bowden, stands contrary to previous reports, which had the team pegged as one of the frontrunners for Tanaka.
- The Yoke of Leadership
- D-backs' GM Kevin Towers: If improvement doesn't happen, 'heads are gonna roll'
- Four-run fifth inning does in McCarthy, D-backs in loss to Cubs: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: 'If we don't start winning, I should be held accountable'
- Diamondbacks didn't have a chance after Sydney
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?