Updated Dec 28, 2013 - 9:11 am
D-backs have had discussions with Masahiro Tanaka's agent
"The Arizona Diamondbacks have had initial discussions with Casey Close, the agent for Masahiro Tanaka," Gambadoro said on Friday's Burns & Gambo Show. "That is the first step. They are not alone. There are several teams that will be having discussions with Casey Close. He represents Masahiro Tanaka, as well as Clayton Kershaw, Zack Greinke. He also represents Derek Jeter.
"He is the agent. The Diamondbacks have reached out to him. They have had discussions regarding Tanaka. And they will have more discussions."
The news comes just a day after ESPN.com baseball insider Jim Bowden detailed the five teams most likely to land Tanaka, with the D-backs failing to make the list.
Largely considered the gem of the Major League Baseball free agency market, Tanaka went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA last season with his Nippon Professional Baseball team, the Rakuten Eagles.
According to MLB spokesman Michael Teevan, all bids must be submitted by Jan. 24 at 5:00 p.m. EST. Based on a new agreement between MLB and NPB, posting fees for Tanaka will be capped at $20 million.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.